acx100/111 driver

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 20:02:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:55:53PM +0100, diego wrote:
> Hi all,
> this is my first post on fedora-kernel-list and I start with a
> request :-P.
> It's possible to insert acx100/acx111 driver for wireless device (Texas
> Instruments Tecnology) on the fedora Kernel?
> I nedd for my device. Now I download it from sourceforge and compiling
> all, but ... will be more easy to install fedora, and It just is load.

No, sorry.  There are legal questions raised about the origin of
that driver.  It will not be included in Fedora unless/until it is
included in the upstream kernels from Linus.  That last point is
generally true for most drivers.

There is some movement towards getting a driver to cover some of that
hardware.  A driver for some similar hardware was released related
to Android IIRC.  It is possible that this will eventually result in
a driver upstream.  Unfortunately, that is probably at least months
away if not longer.

John
--
John W. Linville