Question: Is memory resource controller (cgroup) available in Fedora11 ?

Kyle McMartin kyle at infradead.org
Mon Jan 26 05:15:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 02:07:45PM +0900, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
> Hi,

Hi!

> I thought there was a request to make memroy resource controller
> (CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR) availele in Fedora10 age.
> (But not configured.)
>
> I'd like to request memory cgroup configured in Fedora 11.
> (I'm sorry if too late.)

This is what we currently have enabled in Fedora 11's generic config:

kyle at minerva ~/rpms/kernel/devel $ grep CGROUP config-generic
CONFIG_NET_CLS_CGROUP=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_SCHED=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR_SWAP=y
CONFIG_CGROUPS=y
# CONFIG_CGROUP_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_CGROUP_NS=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_CPUACCT=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_DEVICE=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_FREEZER=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_CONT=y
kyle at minerva ~/rpms/kernel/devel $

> Comapring current implementation(2.6.28) with the version half year ago,
>
>   - There is no pointer from struct page.
>
> IIRC, this pointer was a big obstacle for the merge request.

Right, we were concerned it would impact performance because it pushed
struct page passed the size of a single cacheline.

> BTW, what kernel version Fedora11 will be based on ?
> I prefer 2.6.29-rc version of memory cgroup rather than 2.6.28 ;)

The current plan is for F11 to be based on 2.6.29, but it's possible
(though extremely unlikely) that if .29 stabilizes very quickly that we
might end up on .30, but I wouldn't bet on it. :)

> Thanks,
> -Kame

cheers, Kyle