RFC: re-enable auto loading of floppy driver when the PNP info says there is a floppy

Kyle McMartin kyle at mcmartin.ca
Mon Apr 12 16:58:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:51:10AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I occasionally use them for transferring data between some old laptops and
> machines running Fedora. Occasionally I have also used them for driver disks,
> though all of my computers currently are on the last bios version they are ever
> likely to get.
>
> As things went in the other discussion, it isn't hard to get floppies to
> work, it's hard finding out what the issue is and how to fix it. Now that
> I know I need to run modprobe it isn't a big deal for me. But this information
> is not readily available to people and can cause significant problems for
> people who stumble accross it.

The problem is, EVERYONE has a floppy controller and NOBODY(*) has a
floppy disk drive. PNP only reports the presence of the controller, not
the drive.

Ergo: FAIL for everyone, for the sake of some ancient crap that nobody
except for a vocal minority of approximately three people cares about.

--Kyle