RFC: re-enable auto loading of floppy driver when the PNP info says there is a floppy

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Apr 12 17:18:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:58:35 -0400,
  Kyle McMartin <kyle at mcmartin.ca> wrote:

> The problem is, EVERYONE has a floppy controller and NOBODY(*) has a
> floppy disk drive. PNP only reports the presence of the controller, not
> the drive.
>
> Ergo: FAIL for everyone, for the sake of some ancient crap that nobody
> except for a vocal minority of approximately three people cares about.

I am not an expert on the tradeoffs on the kernel side and don't have a
real strong opinion there. But I do think if floppy drives aren't available
by default, there should be some documentation somewhere that tells people
how to enable their floppy drives. That isn't necessarily the job of the
kernel maintainers.

Maybe at first boot people could get asked.

Maybe a drive could be looked for once and the result remembered. (I expect
that a lot less people move floppy drives around than use them.)

Maybe it could be on an FAQ.

Maybe it could be mentioned in the release notes. (Though I think this change
first affected f12, I don't remember running accross any notice before I
first ran into the problem.)