Kernel bug triage

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Apr 26 02:52:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:11:30 -0500
Eric Sandeen <sandeen at redhat.com> wrote:

> Team of bugzappers sounds ok, but I'd rather leverage the community
> at the lowest/earliest level, by giving the report at least the
> opportunity to say, for example, "this looks like a
> filesystem/ext4/xfs/network/scsi/whatever bug"
>
> And then I'd see it, for the relevant buckets.
>
> Today I don't even look, because it's just a giant stew.
>
> So if we can't do better on the filing end, then maybe a team of
> bugzappers is warranted ... but can't we do better on the filing end?

Well, I asked around about that, but not sure how easy/possible it is
to do with our current setup. Basically bugzilla gets populated from
pkgdb, which has a list of packages, owners, cc people, etc.

It doesn't have a way to say: kernel is this, and has subsystem X, Y, Z

Of course we might be able to change the setup, but thats not going to
be easy/short term. :( I also wish there was a way to setup a template
per component, so we could ask the reporters for all the standard
things we want and point them at the kernelcommon issues page, etc.

> If I had a filesystem-related bucket or buckets to look at for fedora
> kernel bugs, I'd do it.  Esp. if it sent me email.

How about if a group of bugzappers added you to CC and add a
'filesystem' keyword on the bug so you could search for all those?

We could also try and train reporters to add these keywords when they
know?

I exchanged some emails with Chris Brown and I think I am going to look
at just updating the
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelBugTriage
page. That page has a list of bug assignments that we could update and
use for this.

> -Eric

kevin