Kernel bug triage

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Mon Apr 26 02:58:12 UTC 2010

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:11:30 -0500
> Eric Sandeen <sandeen at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Team of bugzappers sounds ok, but I'd rather leverage the community
>> at the lowest/earliest level, by giving the report at least the
>> opportunity to say, for example, "this looks like a
>> filesystem/ext4/xfs/network/scsi/whatever bug"
>>
>> And then I'd see it, for the relevant buckets.
>>
>> Today I don't even look, because it's just a giant stew.
>>
>> So if we can't do better on the filing end, then maybe a team of
>> bugzappers is warranted ... but can't we do better on the filing end?
>
> Well, I asked around about that, but not sure how easy/possible it is
> to do with our current setup. Basically bugzilla gets populated from
> pkgdb, which has a list of packages, owners, cc people, etc.
>
> It doesn't have a way to say: kernel is this, and has subsystem X, Y, Z

Yep, that's the answer I'd heard before too, unfortunately.
It's a pity that the tools seem to be this inflexible.

the kernel.org bugzilla is much better at this.   :(

> Of course we might be able to change the setup, but thats not going to
> be easy/short term. :( I also wish there was a way to setup a template
> per component, so we could ask the reporters for all the standard
> things we want and point them at the kernelcommon issues page, etc.

That'd be nice too.

>> If I had a filesystem-related bucket or buckets to look at for fedora
>> kernel bugs, I'd do it.  Esp. if it sent me email.
>
> How about if a group of bugzappers added you to CC and add a
> 'filesystem' keyword on the bug so you could search for all those?
>
> We could also try and train reporters to add these keywords when they
> know?
>
> I exchanged some emails with Chris Brown and I think I am going to look
> at just updating the
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelBugTriage
> page. That page has a list of bug assignments that we could update and
> use for this.

I think anything that lets the initial reporter take a stab at putting things
in the right bucket would help; ideally, it'd be a mechanism that sends me
email, but if it at least is queryable that'd help...

Thanks,
-Eric