thoughts on modules-extra subpackage...

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Dec 2 19:55:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 02:18:27PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

 > > That is a bit troubling.  I definitely want as much hardware support as
 > > possible to be available in Fedora.  I am particularly focused on
 > > networking, so hopefully we do not move any reasonable wires or wireless
 > > drivers out (which is essentially what happened when ssb was moved out).
 >
 > We pretty much left the network _hardware_ drivers alone.  The ssb thing
 > was unintentional.

Right. The criteria for what gets moved is similar in some ways to the
stop-ship criteria.  "Is this needed for installation / getting updates post-install".
-extras modules won't end up being used by the installer, so we need to
get all the NIC drivers in the main image.

The only networking hardware we go out of our way to not support is comedy
hardware like the 3c501, and we just turn that off entirely.

That said, this is a first cut at this stuff, and we may have made some mistakes.
Look over mod-extras.txt, and if you see something you think is in error,
let us know.

	Dave