yum and kernel-modules-extra

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Dec 26 17:28:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 12:01:44 -0500,
  Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> > I submitted an RFE (bug 770444) to include kernel-modules-extra in the
> > default list of install only packages for yum.
>
> The entire point of kernel-modules-extra is to get them out of the
> default install.  If there are modules in that subpackage that are
> needed by default, then they should be moved back to the main package.
>
> Put it this way.  If it's installed by default, I'll just remove the
> subpackage entirely because the cost of having the subpackage entirely
> outweighs the benefits.

That isn't the point of the RFE. If kernel-modules-extra is installed, there
should normally be a copy installed by default for each kernel. So that when
you do a yum update, kernel-modules-extra doesn't get removed for the previous
kernel.

Unless I am greatly confused this will not install kernel-modules-extra
by default when you don't already have it installed.