2.6.35.10-74 compilation (and build) problems

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 4 23:42:28 UTC 2011

I have been trying to compile and run the above kernel (upgrading from
2.6.34.7-66) for the past 3 days - all to no avail!

First, I was getting the following compile errors during build:

drivers/mfd/timberdale.c:266:3: error: unknown field 'module_name'
specified in initializer
drivers/mfd/timberdale.c:266:3: warning: initialization from
incompatible pointer type
make[2]: *** [drivers/mfd/timberdale.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/mfd] Error 2

drivers/media/video/via-camera.c: In function 'viacam_streamon':
drivers/media/video/via-camera.c:1125:2: error: too many arguments to
function 'pm_qos_add_request'
include/linux/pm_qos_params.h:19:29: note: declared here
drivers/media/video/via-camera.c: In function 'viacam_probe':
drivers/media/video/via-camera.c:1302:12: error: 'struct viafb_dev' has
no member named 'camera_fbmem_size'
drivers/media/video/via-camera.c:1327:25: error: 'struct viafb_dev' has
no member named 'camera_fbmem_offset'
make[3]: *** [drivers/media/video/via-camera.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [drivers/media/video] Error 2
make[1]: *** [drivers/media] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Then, when I finally managed to get it built (I disabled the above two
kernel modules otherwise I won't compile!) and installed the rpms - all
went OK, until I rebooted, that is. I then get the crappy 'text'
plymouth theme (I was using 'fade-in'), the text size is absolutely
massive and my screen suddenly turns on a very low resolution mode
(something like an old VGA).

Manually replacing the plymouth theme by running
plymouth-set-default-theme (with -R to rebuild initramfs) doesn't help
me at all - I still get big text size letters and very low screen
resolution. My graphics card is GeForce 7800 and I had no problems with
this before at all. In fact, all my kernels since about FC6 were built
from source with no problems - this is the first time I am getting this!

As a last resort I tried to back-out of the FC14 upgrade (back to FC13
and 2.6.34.7-66) and tried to compile and install the kernel again, but
had no luck - same problems! I am attaching my .config file, which is
used to build the new kernel, so hopefully someone will point me in the
right direction and tell me what is wrong.