2.6.35.10-74 compilation (and build) problems

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 01:22:17 UTC 2011

On 01/06/2011 04:42 PM, Mr Dash Four wrote:

>> What I did, is described below.
>> However, it did not work. rpmbuild exited with error.
>> The output file  kernel.build,out is attached.
> Strange error that!
>
>> After you do make oldconfig, do these steps:
> Do I copy my .34 config as .config first, prior to running make
> oldconfig (so that I could 'fill-in' the gaps)? What then? Do I copy
> the new .config (with the answered questions in it) as config-local
> and then follow standard procedure, i.e. inserting the arch magic at
> the top and run rpmbuild?

before I answer your question, please, guys!
do not email me personally because when I do Reply
it does not come to the list. So please refrain from
replying directly to sender. Reply to list.
I think there must be a problem with the way the server
is formatting the message headers, so they when a member
clicks reply, the reply is addressed to the person, rather than
to the list . Could the list admin please look into this?
The fedora user list works well because a Reply automagically
puts the list email address in the To: field.

Now, as I said, you have to do a make oldconfig first.
This was explained ina previous email where the steps
were detailed as follows:

cd ..../SRPMS
rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.35.10-74.fc14.src.rpm
cd ../SPECS
rpmbuild -bp kernel.spec
cd ../BUILD/kernel-2.6.35/linux-2.6.35.i686/
cp Your-Current-Config-FIle-of your-current-booted-kernel  .config
make oldconfig
when done,
cp .config ......./SOURCES/config-local

and the rest of the instructions are as in previous post.

But all this is moot -
For some weird reason, rpmbuild is not able to parse
the line
%define all_arch_configs kernel-%{version}-i?86*.config

correctly. i.e. it is not expanding   i?86*   properly.

Why this is happening is not within my knowhow.
I know next to nothing about how rpmuild parses the spec file.