Bisecting 3 year old kernels?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Oct 3 15:59:44 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 14:02:49 -0500,
   Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

>Am I going to need to use something like mock to do these builds?
>
>Is there any hope that I can run the resulting kernel on rawhide? (I
>need to test that X works in one case and motherboard sound combined
>with high network traffic works in the other.)

I was able to get old kernels to build without too many changes, but using
them on a current system seems hopeless as they seem to predate cgroups
which causes systemd issues. I suspect graphics will also be an issue.

I tried to do the make install step on an older Fedora, but that didn't result
in a successful boot (possibly because the older Fedora was not one that
ran that kernel, so there may still have been a graphics mismatch).

With the good advice you guys gave me about building new kernels quickly,
I am going to switch to doing the builds on the older system. I can do a
build overnight easily, when I wouldn't normally be doing anything on the
machine. The oldest kernel I want to bisect is from after git, so I should
have the tools I need on the oldest Fedora (11) that I want to do this on.
I think the most risk is from Fedora specific patches. I have the feeling
that we were carrying a lot more kernel patches in those days than we
do now. I can probably work around that buy applying needed patches and
rebasing the changes between the latest working upstream kernel and the
earliest failing kernel. But dealing with the patches could end up adding
too much work.