Silence advansys build time warning in Fedora's kernel build?

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Thu Jan 23 11:42:30 UTC 2014

Hans,

On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 12:13 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> On 01/23/2014 12:10 PM, Paul Bolle wrote:
> > I think I've done enough to get this trivial patch noted by this
> > driver's maintainer, and the SCSI people in general, haven't I?
>
> I'm not saying you haven't but in my experience for some low-profile patches,
> the fix is to just poke upstream harder.

Well, I really think advansys is de facto unmaintained. Another problem
is that the SCSI people are rather good at ignoring (trivial) patches to
drivers of, apparently, outdated hardware.

> I don't think disabling a Kconfig setting
> in Fedora because you cannot get a patch fixing a compiler warning upstream is
> a good idea.

The warnings that AIC7XXX_OLD and AIC94XX generated were what prompted
me to submit patches to this list to remove those two drivers (also
SCSI, also outdated hardware) from the kernel build.

> Perhaps it would also help if in the next re-send of the patch upstream you
> explain in somewhat more detail why compiler warnings are a big problem for
> your workflow / use-case.

Warnings are just that: warnings. But I managed to get vanilla v3.13
(for x86, both 32 bits and 64 bits) to build without them. The patches
required were all sent upstream, or to this list. Most are on track to
be included in v3.14. None of that is urgent, of course, it's just nice
to have a silent build.

And please note that this warning was added to advertise issues
(specific to "wide boards", whatever that are):
    warning: #warning this driver is still not properly converted to the DMA API [-Wcpp]

I assume the goal was to get this fixed. But, after seven years, I don't
think anyone really cares about that. Perhaps nobody uses "wide boards".
Anyhow, it's just build noise that most people ignore.

Thanks,

Paul Bolle