please update linux-firmware to include latest iwlwifi firmware

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 31 11:27:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 1:27 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Lo!
>
> On 31.01.2014 04:43, Yu Watanabe wrote:
>> [...]
>> I do not know what is the criteria to include latest firmware.
>> I can not find what kind of fixes applied to the latest firmware.
>> But, I think it might be helpful for many laptop users.
>
> FWIW, I also was bitten by "the linux-firmware package in Fedora is too
> old" a few times in the past year when dealing with brand new hardware.
> @Josh: How about updating it every time we jump to a new mainline kernel
> version? Should be safe (as always: famous last words ;-) ) and sounds
> like a good time&frequency to me

I try and keep an eye on the git repo for it and do releases whenever
something important/interesting comes along.  I knew we needed the
intel firmware update, but I hadn't checked in a while.  I'll get an
update together later today.  It would be nice if upstream actually
did releases, but at this point I've given up on that entirely.

josh