Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Mar 5 16:49:42 UTC 2014

Am 05.03.2014 17:45, schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
> On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 17:37:42 +0100
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>
>> Am 05.03.2014 17:28, schrieb Kevin Fenzi:

>>> This entire disk size optimization seems kind of weird to me.
>>
>> in case of kernel agreed
>> in general you need to multiply the wasted space for each instance
>
> At least for my uses, the amount of non persistent disk space isn't a
> big deal. If I need disk space, I would attach a persistent volume...

in my use cases the SAN storage has already 12 SAS 15k disks
and the additional enclosure as well as the disks are expensive

well, i have rotating backups of the whole setups too and so
at least i have to multiply the storage by 3 or 4

> I'd care much more about memory usage, boot time (you want to spin
> things up fast), and cpu usage (cpus are likely the most scarce
> resource for me at least)

30 Fedora VM's on a single HP DL 380 average 5% CPU usage

that different the usecases are