Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Sandro "red" Mathys red at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 5 23:38:44 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 1:45 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 17:37:42 +0100
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> in general you need to multiply the wasted space for each instance

Exactly, you usually have hundreds or even thousands of instances
running. Sure, "every MB counts" isn't to be taken literal here, maybe
I should rather have said "every 10 MB count".

> At least for my uses, the amount of non persistent disk space isn't a
> big deal. If I need disk space, I would attach a persistent volume...

Figure you get your additional persistent volumes for free somehow, so
all those Amazon AWS, HP Cloud, Rackspace, etc. users envy you. And
those admins that need to buy physical disks to put into their private
clouds, too.

Also, more data equals more network traffic and more time - both
things that matter in terms of costs, at least in public clouds.

-- Sandro