should we consider making CoDel the default to combat bufferbloat?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Oct 16 02:09:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 21:02:07 -0400,
  Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>Reading https://lwn.net/Articles/616241/, getting myself in happily over my
>level of actual knowledge about the state of things.
>
>From that article, it seems like it might be worth trying
>net.core.default_qdisc = fq_codel by default. Just tossing this out there
>for the consideration of someone who really knows what they're talking about
>in this area.

I don't think that will help much for typical Fedora use. I think you
need to be controlling the bottleneck for that to help much. And I doubt
Fedora is being used as a gateway router very often. I think using byte
queue limits is supposed to be more helpful for end nodes. (Though you
could do both.)

I bought a couple of refurbished wndr3800s a month ago for my birthday
to replace my home router (and to have a backup) using cerowrt. The default
config doesn't fit my service (it assumes normal residential service) so I
need to do some significant changes to how they assign IP addresses to
interfaces and haven't gotten around to it yet, but am planning to work
on it this weekend. I'm hoping ssh will work better while I am updating
my local Fedora mirror or when my wife is using netflix.