should we consider making CoDel the default to combat bufferbloat?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 16 14:19:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Reading https://lwn.net/Articles/616241/, getting myself in happily over my
> level of actual knowledge about the state of things.
>
> From that article, it seems like it might be worth trying
> net.core.default_qdisc = fq_codel by default. Just tossing this out there
> for the consideration of someone who really knows what they're talking about
> in this area.

I think the answer, as usual, is: "It depends."  It's not a silver
bullet for all problems, but it would probably help in some cases.  I
would actually think Server could use this more than Workstation, as
the article points out that wireless networking has a number of other
issues to consider.  I've added Neil on CC, who's probably much more
equipped to weigh in on this than either of us.

In any case, if this change is done it should be done in the
initscripts package.  It's a runtime tunable and we don't need to be
patching the kernel to change the default.

josh