Netbook emergency router; default route question

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Fri Apr 6 14:29:54 UTC 2012

Using AspireOne netbook as a (temporary) replacement internet gateway
router, combined with a proxy server.

Due to the layout of the building, using wlan0 as the connection to
the internet (ADSL wireless router), and using wired eth0 port to
serve the local network clients.  The intention is that clients will
use the netbook as their gateway, through eth0, and the netbook will
masquerade their traffic and then onward route to the internet over
the wlan port.  Simple, basic, router, set up with
system-config-firewall to masquerade eth0, the local net traffic
[192.168.0.0/24].

The proxy server is needed so that some applications on other systems
can temporarily route their traffic through the netbook, without
having to reconfigure the default route settings on their hosts.
Installed tinyproxy to do this.

But tinyproxy, though configured to send outbound traffic to the
address of the ADSL router [192.168.13.1], appears to be placing its
outbound traffic on eth0, not on wlan0.  Actually, tinyproxy doesn't
'know' about ports, only addresses, so it is the netbook that is
placing traffic for the ADSL router back onto the local net, instead
of on wlan0.  I'm guessing, but I wonder if the default route is (for
some reason) set to be reached using eth0 instead of wlan0.

Using network manager applet, I can see that both eth0 and wlan0 have
default gateways and (of course) these are different because the two
ports are on entirely different networks.

How do people check the default route?

Grateful for any advice,

regards, Ron