[Fedora-legal-list] Linux firmware

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed Apr 29 21:29:01 UTC 2009

On Apr 29, 2009, "Tom \"spot\" Callaway" <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/29/2009 03:06 PM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> Say I create two works A and B.
>>
>> I publish A under a permissive license.
>>
>> I publish B under a license that prohibits its combination with A.
>>
>> Per your reasoning, you're entitled to publish a combination of A and B.

> If you create work A that is dependent on work B (which you also
> created)

False assumption.  We're talking about copyright notices in two separate
drivers, one unrelated with the other.  Even if the drivers were somehow
related, I'm pretty sure the driver B is not derived from the firmware
in driver A.

The one situation in which there are derived works is that the driver B
is derived from Linux, but then it sets forth an additional restriction,
which is incompatible with the GPL that governs the creation and
distribution of derived works.

> Keep in mind that we're still talking hypotheticals here.

No, we're not.  You think I made up those license snippets?

I'm talking about two specific network interface driversf

grep for the license notices I posted to find them in the Linux 2.6.29
source tree.  (The firmware in driver A moved into firmware/ in
2.6.30-pre, but I haven't checked how or even whether the license
notices were adjusted)