[Fedora-legal-list] Offering Fedora installation service etc.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 16:43:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 04:48:47PM +0900, Martin Killmann wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> I'm unsure whether this is the right place to ask, if not, please point
> me in the right direction.
>
> We're a server company that sells Linux systems from embedded to big iron,
> (http://www.plathome.co.jp/products/server/)
> and we also offer Fedora preinstalled on customer request.
>
> Now, the question is whether there are licensing issues we can run into
> when offering Fedora preinstallation, support and other services.
> Are there any parts of the distribution that are critical, such as
> proprietary drivers?
>
> Please advise.

Hello Martin,

I'm unclear on whether you're asking about licensing of the software
in Fedora itself, or whether you're concerned about licensing of the
Fedora trademarks themselves in connection with your offering.  I'll
try to help you out with the latter.

We have a complete set of trademark guidelines that cover the use of
Fedora trademarks for OEM pre-installs of unmodified Fedora software
here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#OEM_pre-loads_of_unmodified_Fedora_software

However, if you are adding other software not found in Fedora directly
to the system during pre-installation, or otherwise modifying Fedora
software, these guidelines apply:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#OEM_pre-loads_of_combinations_of_Fedora_software_with_non-Fedora_or_modified_Fedora_software

Please reply to the list if you have any further questions.