[Fedora-legal-list] xorg-x11-drv-wacom license

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at redhat.com
Wed Feb 17 04:14:56 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

During a review of the wacom project I found this gem in most of the
source files (highlights mine):

  * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
  * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
					^^ GPL
  * as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
  * of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
  *
  * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
  * GNU Lesser General Public License for more details.
        ^^ LGPL
  *
   						^^ GPL
  * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
  * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA
02111-1307, USA.

So the first paragraph explicitly states that the software is GPLv2+
(and the last paragraph suggests the same). The second paragraph refers
to the LGPL. Ping, the upstream maintainer suggested that it "Must be a
copy/paste error."
The project itself ships the tarballs exclusively with the GPL document.
Back in the day it used to contain a LGPL-licensed part but that part
has since been removed.

I just wanted to double-check that this is in fact counts as GPLv2 or
whether it requires GPLv2 and LGPLv2 or some similar tag.
Also, some advice on whether it is appropriate to correct this error
upstream without legal repercussions would be much appreciated. Both
Ping and I (the two maintainers) agree that GPL is the intended license.

Cheers,
   Peter