[Fedora-legal-list] BSD copyright clause

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 19:54:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 01:31:45PM -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A GPL'ed project includes some 3 clause BSD licensed files. They include this
> line:
>
>  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>
> Is the term "binary form" referring to the tarball or a compiled application
> that uses the file? If it is meant to refer to a compiled app, how do people
> typically meet this? Just curious....

My understanding is that "redistribution in binary form" covers the
total blob of material customarily used to redistribute to users in a
form they can execute.  So it would cover in our case a binary RPM
package, meaning you can include the license in the %{_docdir}.
That's what our binary RPMs are required to do IIRC.