[Fedora-legal-list] Concern about the Clementine music player application

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 15:59:11 UTC 2012

On 03/21/2012 11:27 PM, Ryan Farmer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some concerns about the Clementine music player application as
> packaged in Fedora. The concerns involve the Spotify integration feature.
>
> The application uses Spotify's trademarks and their copyrighted logo and
> suggests that the user pull in a proprietary application called "Spotify
> Core" to use the feature. This effectively makes the feature a stub that
> pulls in proprietary software.
>
> I'm wondering if any of this is in violation of any Fedora packaging
> guidelines for the issues I've raised.

After thorough review, we've concluded this is all in keeping with the
Fedora guidelines:

* The trademark use is in compliance with Spotify's terms of use for
third-party applications.
* The Clementine app as packaged in Fedora is not shipping the spotify
proprietary blob, leaving it up to the user to decide whether they wish
to download it.

~tom

==
Fedora Project