[Fedora-legal-list] perl-FCGI licence

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Sep 4 16:51:24 UTC 2012

On 08/27/2012 02:23 PM, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
>> On 08/21/2012 08:01 AM, Petr Ĺ abata wrote:
>>
>>> No response so far.
>
> Sorry about that. I've been moving to a new email address which
> left me in read-only mode for a few days. I'm back in the saddle, now.
>
> * Tom Callaway [27/08/2012 16:00] :
>>
>> I'll wait a little bit longer here.
>
> Thank you, Tom.

So, here's what I've discovered:

This code was written by Open Market, Inc. (not to be confused with
OpenMarket, a mobile software company). Open Market was later acquired
by Divine in 2001, and Divine filed for bankruptcy in early 2003. At
this point, things get fuzzier:

FatWire Software acquired Open Market's content management business, and
may have acquired the FastCGI copyrights (but I can't be sure here,
because all the assets of Divine were divided up at their bankruptcy).
Oh, and FatWire Software was acquired by Oracle Corporation in 2011.

Given that we've not had much success lately working with Oracle on
resolving licensing issues (especially when it is unclear whether they
own it or not), I went back and looked at the original FastCGI devkit,
which is where this code originates from, and in my opinion, it is clear
that the devkit LICENSE.TERMS (1997) (OML) apply to the os_* files
(1995) and provide the "express written license agreement with Open
Market, Inc." that would supercede the local non-free license in those
files.

So, to summarize: perl-FCGI is still License: OML and okay for Fedora.

~tom

==
Fedora Project