[Fedora-legal-list] At which stage in Fedora does upstream code become "Fedora Software"

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Fri Sep 27 12:52:07 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:21:08PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Given that I was redirected to you guys
>
> I'm trying to establish at which stage the upstream code we package
> is transformed into "Fedora Software"

"Fedora Software" for purposes of what? I'm not sure I understand the
question.

> is it at packaging stage
> is it at iso stage
> does it apply only to the defaults
> does it take any rights away from the owner doing so
> is it when we ( the community ) apply patches to it

Clearly once some software is not identical to its form upstream, it
is distinguishable from upstream. I suppose you could say that it's
"part of Fedora" (for some definitions of Fedora at least) at that
point, but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking.

Regarding specifically the question "does it take any rights away from
the owner doing so", by "owner" you mean the owner of the upstream
code?

See the "Non-Goals" paragraph of:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Fedora_Project_Contributor_Agreement#FPCA_Text

 - RF