[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora Live CD project "kick off"

Tom Lisjac netdxr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 00:42:50 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 7:00 AM, Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 April 2005 09:46, Neville Richter wrote:
> > As a boot CD builder I have used cloop and squashfs and I would hope
> > that someone would add squashfs to the standard Fedora Core kernel
> > distribution before starting this project.

> You don't have to do it like this. You can use mkzftree during the last stages
> to create compressed file system that the kernel knows how to read.

That's an interesting approach that I thought about using on another
project. As a comparison I built the same CD using both zisofs and
cloop. IIRC, cloop ended up providing 10 to 15 percent better
compression. Unfortunately cloop has it's problems too. One of them
has been keeping the Debian oriented sources compiling against the
Fedora kernels.

I like Neville's suggestion of having squashfs support in the kernel.
This would provide both the convenience of zisofs and the compression
advantages of cloop.

-Tom