[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora Live CD project "kick off"

neville n.richter at qut.edu.au
Wed Apr 6 02:40:03 UTC 2005

Tom Lisjac wrote:

>On Apr 5, 2005 7:00 AM, Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>>On Tuesday 05 April 2005 09:46, Neville Richter wrote:
>>

>>>As a boot CD builder I have used cloop and squashfs and I would hope
>>>that someone would add squashfs to the standard Fedora Core kernel
>>>distribution before starting this project.
>>>

>>You don't have to do it like this. You can use mkzftree during the last stages
>>to create compressed file system that the kernel knows how to read.
>>

>That's an interesting approach that I thought about using on another
>project. As a comparison I built the same CD using both zisofs and
>cloop. IIRC, cloop ended up providing 10 to 15 percent better
>compression. Unfortunately cloop has it's problems too. One of them
>has been keeping the Debian oriented sources compiling against the
>Fedora kernels.
>
>I like Neville's suggestion of having squashfs support in the kernel.
>This would provide both the convenience of zisofs and the compression
>advantages of cloop.
>
>-Tom
>
>--

Hello again,

I would hope that the COW filesystem technology used on the Xendemo CD
becomes the standard way of starting the Fedora live-CD.

My current problem which will also be a problem for the Fedora live-CD
is that Schools and Universities are all moving towards wireless
laboratories.  The problem is that wireless vendors seem to cater
primarily for MS Windows and you then have to use software that runs
these DLLs.  Also the licence agreements for the wireless software do
not extend to  distributing vendor software with boot CD.

--

regards Neville
email: n.richter at qut.edu.au  room: S745 Gardens Point

Neville Richter, Senior Lecturer
School of Software Engineering & Data Communications
Faculty of Information Technology
Queensland University of Technology
Box 2434 Brisbane 4001 AUSTRALIA