[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora Live CD project "kick off"

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 08:04:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 18:42 -0600, Tom Lisjac wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2005 7:00 AM, Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 April 2005 09:46, Neville Richter wrote:
> > > As a boot CD builder I have used cloop and squashfs and I would hope
> > > that someone would add squashfs to the standard Fedora Core kernel
> > > distribution before starting this project.
>
> > You don't have to do it like this. You can use mkzftree during the last stages
> > to create compressed file system that the kernel knows how to read.
>
> That's an interesting approach that I thought about using on another
> project. As a comparison I built the same CD using both zisofs and
> cloop. IIRC, cloop ended up providing 10 to 15 percent better
> compression. Unfortunately cloop has it's problems too. One of them
> has been keeping the Debian oriented sources compiling against the
> Fedora kernels.
>
> I like Neville's suggestion of having squashfs support in the kernel.
> This would provide both the convenience of zisofs and the compression
> advantages of cloop.

The best way to get this done is to try to get squashfs into the
upstream kernel. There has been some motion on this recently:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0503.1/2040.html

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an unconventional Catholic astronaut possessed of the uncanny powers of
an insect. She's a man-hating communist femme fatale with a birthmark shaped
like Liberty's torch. They fight crime!