[Fedora-livecd-list] Project goals and infrastructure...

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Apr 15 18:08:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 00:37 -0600, Tom Lisjac wrote:
> On 4/12/05, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > It might be interesting if the people who have done live cds could list
> > what changes they have done to make them work. Then we can take these
> > changes and try to get them all into the distro.
> >
> > What other changes do we need in order to make a script that can
> > generate a live-cd from a random rawhide snapshot?
>
> One essential component for a live CD is automatic hardware
> configuration. Has anyone developed a comprehensive package to handle
> this?
>
> For EpikBuilder, I adapted Klaus Knopper's scripts, ddcxinfo and
> hwsetup utilities. I also used his version of kudzu hwdata because
> Knoppix supported both the XFree 3.3.6 and 4.x drivers at that time.
> This provided compatibility with older graphics cards that were
> dropped in RH9. The whole thing worked well but was difficult to
> maintain since any updates Klaus made to the Debian scripts had to be
> manually reviewed and applied to my RH version.
>
> Of possible interest is a project that René Rhéaume started in July of
> 2003 to maintain the Knoppix auto-detection system for Red Hat and
> Mandrake:
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/knx-autoconfig-ports/
>
> His last update for RH was a year ago... but it might be worth looking
> at if nobody else has a packaged solution.

For the stateless linux livecd i just used kudzu (kudzu -q I think). I
see no reason why the live-cd hardware detection should be any different
from the automatic detection of another (non-cd) fedora core
installation.

Having a special hardware detection system for the live-cd just means
double the maintenance burden, because the non-live-cd fedora core
should also automatically detect as much hardware as possible.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a benighted bohemian grifter moving from town to town, helping folk in
trouble. She's a cosmopolitan belly-dancing opera singer with a flame-thrower.
They fight crime!