[Fedora-livecd-list] Project goals and infrastructure...

Tom Lisjac netdxr at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 06:02:48 UTC 2005

On 4/15/05, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 00:37 -0600, Tom Lisjac wrote:
> >
> > One essential component for a live CD is automatic hardware
> > configuration. Has anyone developed a comprehensive package to handle
> > this?
> >
> > For EpikBuilder, I adapted Klaus Knopper's scripts
>
> For the stateless linux livecd i just used kudzu (kudzu -q I think). I
> see no reason why the live-cd hardware detection should be any different
> from the automatic detection of another (non-cd) fedora core
> installation.

I see two different requirements here with error free autodetection
being much more critical for the bootable CD. If a hard disk install
doesn't pick something up correctly, it can be interactively fixed and
life goes on. With a failed CD boot, the user is out of business on
that machine.

If the current Knoppix autodetection works a lot better on a wider
variety of hardware, then migrating the improvements into the Fedora
implementation should be considered... otherwise we'll be building a
nice new system that doesn't work as well as the currently available
Knoppix derivatives.

The question is: is Knoppix actually better... and if so, by how much?
Has anyone had a chance to actually do some comparisons on variety of
hardware?

-Tom