output redistribution issues again, was Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi: roadmap from Board meeting ?

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Apr 18 19:48:32 UTC 2006

Hold it, hold it, hold it.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Jane Dogalt wrote:

> Chitlesh,
>
>    Thank you for your answers here.  Unfortunately, I think you have
> confirmed what I have suspected all along, but which I thought needed to
> be spelled out.  I.e.
>
> ***
>
> There is a very limited subset of customizations a kadischi user may
> make to their output, and still be 'legally' allowed to redistribute
> their output.
>
> Examples include- Including forbidden items, like nvidia drivers, mp3
> support, etc. Doing things that are "hateful or stupid" in redhat or
> fedora's subjective opinion.

Wrong.  You can include anything you like, and redistribute anything you
like.  The *only* restriction is whether or not you can use the Fedora
name on that redistribution.

The policy we're aiming for: if it's all Fedora stuff, you can use the
Fedora name.  If it isn't, you can't.  Period.

> And I suspect from a 'legal' point of view, basically anything that goes
> any distance beyond changing the package selection from purely within
> the core and extras repository.  Because the instant you do anything
> complicated like adding your own package that hasn't vetted the
> core/extras quality control inclusion process, you are releasing a piece
> of software whose quality will reflect on the fedora name, due to
> implicit association.  Certainly if (a) default fedora boot/background
> logos/images/trademarks are left in place.  And even to a lesser extent,
> if the fedora-logos and anaconda images packages are left in place (am I
> missing anything?). ***

We're not the least bit worried about implicit association.  Not at all.
It's free software.  The only thing we're worried about is *explicit*
association.  That's why we protect the marks themselves so rigorously.

> I am harping on this, because I think the issue confirms my need (and I
> think it would vastly benefit the kadischi user community as well) for a
> simple post install script which optionally makes the resulting
> distribution "clean of any implied association or sponsorship by redhat
> or fedora".

Agreed.  Make it happen.

> I'm hoping such a script isn't too terribly more complicated than rpm -e'ing
> fedora-logos and anaconda-images.  A while back I saw all the .svg things in
> there, and was worried that it would be hard to replace those with 'dummy'
> items , but I tried out inkscape last night, and was truly amazed at how cool
> that tool is.

Yep.  Should be pretty simple.

--g