output redistribution issues again, was Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi: roadmap from Board meeting ?

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Apr 25 15:14:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Skunk Worx wrote:

> From an end user perspective, I'd like to see a final word on the
> Kadischi project stating that kadischi users can make isos and keep
> Fedora logos and trademarks intact...even when we include our
> proprietary kernel drivers and software.

So noted.  I think we'd all like some way of distinguishing between
"official Fedora" and "based on Fedora," and we're just trying to figure
out the best way to do that.

> We put our own software and drivers under /usr on the DVDs and your
> logos are plainly visible. In the past we have been proud to say we use
> Fedora for development and release. A lot of people have tried Fedora
> after seeing our demos. Does Fedora treat a bootable hard drive image
> and a bootable iso differently?
>
> When are you going to enforce on hard drives? I have the NVIDIA driver
> and the euro MP3 package added to my home machine...as well as a bunch
> of proprietary. Do I have to remove all your logos from my hard drive
> install?

Of course not.  On your machine, you can do anything you want.

> Why is the iso so different? Are you planning to use DRM to insure only
> core/extras are installed if logos and trademarks are present?

Because the ISO is for redistribution.  These guidelines are all about
"what you can redistribute and still call it Fedora."

--g