output redistribution issues again, was Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi: roadmap from Board meeting ?

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Wed Apr 26 09:51:34 UTC 2006

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Skunk Worx wrote:
>
>> When are you going to enforce on hard drives? I have the NVIDIA driver
>> and the euro MP3 package added to my home machine...as well as a bunch
>> of proprietary. Do I have to remove all your logos from my hard drive
>> install?
>
> Of course not.  On your machine, you can do anything you want.
>
>> Why is the iso so different? Are you planning to use DRM to insure only
>> core/extras are installed if logos and trademarks are present?
>
> Because the ISO is for redistribution.  These guidelines are all about
> "what you can redistribute and still call it Fedora."

The term "redistribution" is going to get blurred as the use of PXE or
SAAS gets more widespread.

No one wants to see an ebay flood of "Fedora" DVDs built from some
whacked out iso. I completely agree with that...the bugzilla reports
would quickly become polluted.

OTOH some linux competitors are actively supporting one-to-many PXE
blasts of totally proprietary, custom-built images...even to the point
that they've removed the start bar...I've seen it done with Windows. It
would be a shame to truncate that (admittedly small) market.

---
John