[Fedora-livecd-list] FYI- no fedora-logos behaviour

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 06:10:16 UTC 2006

For anyone interested-

I just tried doing an rpm -e --nodeps fedora-logos to a fresh system, to see
what would happen.

1) grub handled it very gracefully

2) rhgb handled it very gracefully

3) gdm handled it well, but not perfectly.  I.e. threw up a dialog about the
missing theme, and then after clicking OK, went to it's default theme.  Pretty
good though.

4) /usr/share/backgrounds/images/default.png is the 1600x1200 default gnome
fedora logo background, which is not owned by fedora-logos*.rpm

5) fedora main menu button is also not apparently owned by fedora-logos*.rpm

I'm guessing 4&5 are 'bugs'.  And easily enough replaceable.  Likewise I'm sure
3 is pretty trivial to fix as well.

I imagine it's far more challenging to make a fedora derivative distribution
that includes the anaconda installer, than it is to make a derivative livecd
which uses the installer during the derivation process, but not
post-distribution.

Basically what I'm saying is that this bodes very well for all the
livecd-generator output redistribution issues, which are apparently irrelevent
if you do an rpm -e --nodeps fedora-logos*.rpm to your system image before
distributing it.

-jdog