[Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi - Xen - patch

J. Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 13 15:35:06 UTC 2006

Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:

>Should I document it in the Kadischi/Development ?

If it has been tested, and is proven to not break under any
circumstances, absolutely.

>As you said it was because of the tiny ramdisk_size allocated, my
>problem was solved when I removed ramdisk_size=10000 from
>install-boot.sh
>
>I had this issue because I was using a splash.lss (the one from FC5T3 DVD)

That was a guess on my part, considering the only device is the RAM disk.
Though, having a Fedora Core splash is probably something we would want.
If you could detail your use of using the splash.lss from Isolinux we
could possibly
use it on all production CDs out of Kadischi. I'm hesitant to think it
was just the splash.lss image
that caused those errors.

We'll still need to agree on a plausible size for both the ramdisk_size
and dom0_mem settings.
I believe a 32 MB RAMdisk would be more than sufficient, and I say 32
because I checked
the size of unarchived kadischi on disk, under an ext3 filesystem and it
showed to be about 16MB.
Building a fully featured CD or DVD.. for that matter would surely (as
you saw) push this limit.
I'd still like more opinions on this however.

The dom0_mem value I also think should be around 128MB or 256MB at a
minimum.
Considering dom0_mem is only used and allocated if one builds a Xen CD..
the purpose would be to run a GuestOS within it, and 256MB just sounds
to me to be reasonable for the
minimum allocated. This may or may not be good, but it isn't likely
anyone with 256MB or less of RAM
would be building a LiveCD to load a Guest either. Any newer PC model
will more times than not come
with or have a minimum RAM module available at 256MB increments.

In theory this means that:
1) A standard Fedora (Kadischi built) Live media would require 32MB of RAM.
This sounds plausible.
2) A Xen-kernel Fedora (Kadischi built) Live media would require at the
very least 256MB of RAM.
This also sounds plausible, but only because of it's range of
application. Loading a Guest.

These are my ideas, and they aren't written in stone, at any time one
can load the kernels with thier own
values from the Isolinux prompt. I'm not sure if Chitlesh had any ideas
regarding boot screens, I am pretty sure he did.
Can you provide some of those ideas Chitlesh so we can better look over
our "workspace"?
Perhaps we can put these into Kadischi somehow, and generate a patch.

Thanks.
J. Hartline