[Fedora-livecd-list] getting Xorg to install from kickstart, and bug 185830

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 19 02:16:24 UTC 2006

I think these two things may be related.

First, I filed bug 185830, in which I was running kadischi, and while it was
invoking anaconda, it *reconfigured my network*!!!.

I think this is related to what I was discussing earlier about being fearful of
anaconda probing the hardware of the build system while running under kadischi.
 I suspect that somehow anaconda running under kadischi did to the host build
system (reconfiguring the network) what it was supposed to be doing to the
target system (which for us, during install, has no 'real' network to
reconfigure).

In a possibly related fashion, I can't seem to get X installed on my livecd.
Everything other than the xserver itself (libX11-bla, gnome, openoffice)
installed, but not X itself.  Even when my xconfig line in my kickstart matched
the build host system (which I think it shouldn't have to), X didn't get
installed.

I suspect this has something to do with when and how anaconda installs the X
server.

I understand that maybe my knoppix-like goals don't necessarily map 1-1 with
the specific-hardware-appliance users.  I think it would be nice if kadischi
could satisfy both crowds.  If not, I'm sure I can hack together whatever I
need.  But regardless, I think we(???) need to at least go over kadischi's use
of anaconda and make sure that the kad-anaconda doesn't directly affect (and
I'd prefer also - is not directly affected by) the build host system.

-jdog