[Fedora-livecd-list] getting Xorg to install from kickstart, and bug 185830

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sun Mar 19 23:04:44 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 18:16 -0800, Jane Dogalt wrote:
> First, I filed bug 185830, in which I was running kadischi, and while it was
> invoking anaconda, it *reconfigured my network*!!!.

This definitely shouldn't be happening.  From a quick look at the
relevant anaconda code, we should only be changing things under the
instroot.  I'll try to look more tomorrow when I'm at the office

> I think this is related to what I was discussing earlier about being fearful of
> anaconda probing the hardware of the build system while running under kadischi.
>  I suspect that somehow anaconda running under kadischi did to the host build
> system (reconfiguring the network) what it was supposed to be doing to the
> target system (which for us, during install, has no 'real' network to
> reconfigure).

Things should all be happening under the instroot and so it should be
relatively safe.  I'm not ruling out bugs, though, hence why I think
expectations need to be set appropriately around kadischi right now :-)

> In a possibly related fashion, I can't seem to get X installed on my livecd.
> Everything other than the xserver itself (libX11-bla, gnome, openoffice)
> installed, but not X itself.  Even when my xconfig line in my kickstart matched
> the build host system (which I think it shouldn't have to), X didn't get
> installed.

Did you have anything selected that would pull in xorg-x11-server-Xorg,
either via a group or explicitly listing it in your %packages?

> I suspect this has something to do with when and how anaconda installs the X
> server.

Nothing really magic there

Jeremy