[Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi - preload utilities and daemon

J. Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Sun Mar 19 09:09:52 UTC 2006

Jane Dogalt wrote:

>The concept is similar to the accelerated knoppix thing where they reposition
>commonly/early used files into a contiguous chunk (on the faster outer cylinder
>of the cd?).

Right this is a clear concept. The outer sections of a disc shouldn't
really be relevant
however, as inside and outside tracks differ in actual physical length
to my knowledge.
That would mean that it is faster, but not in the sense we are looking
for here.
e.g. The data is read at the same rate, independant of particular
physical disc portion.

>This process can even become scriptable if you can do a simulated boot of the
>target system via xen/vmware :)

I just recently ran into problemw with busybox-anaconda and Xen
using Qemu. No matter what, the hypervisor expected a root= to be specified.
This is of course probably due to the different nature of hypervisor vs.
kernel - initrd
and how they do or do not work together.

I'll do a bit of my own fiddling with it here.. I do see a few problems:
1) This application has not made it into any existing Fedora Core
branches that I know of under name "preload".
2) While data is not kept on any disk, and not assuming we even have a
machine with magnetic disks preload
would only apply for uisng a generated live disc with Kadischi, for
periods of time (of course, more of a note than a problem.)
Which down the line with Linux4all or another method of user data kept,
this would be irrelevant.

I think between readahead and preload, a significant gain could be
achieved, regardless of
SquashFS. I'll look into that.

So.. really not only is it not part of Core, it can't just be installed
from repo and the daemon/utility
started. Sure users can do it individually but, that is not the focus I
think.
It would need to be fused/added somewhere with Kadischi or go into
Extras, Core, something.
I'll look into it further.
Maybe it is in a development repo somewhere.

J. Hartline