[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- 'persistance' is on LiveCD wishlist - what does it mean?

don vogt donvogt2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 16:50:02 UTC 2007

ate: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:25:40 -0500
From: Douglas McClendon
<dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org>
Subject: Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- 'persistance'
is on LiveCD
	wishlist	- what does it mean?
To: fedora-livecd-list at redhat.com

Jeremy Katz wrote:

> I somewhat suspect that the answer is to get
together the quick path for
> each of these (explicit specification of where the
persistence is,
> require manual set up) and just see how things work.

>I agree, and was planning on going ahead and trying
>out some ideas myself.  I
>just want to make sure I take into consideration any
>particular use-cases that
>people may already have in mind.  And in particular,
>I'm hoping that if a good
>end-user implementation already exists somewhere that
>I'm oblivious to, that
>someone mentions it.

>Knoppix, at least from what I see, still uses
unionfs, >so thats not interesting

>for us.

>ubuntu also uses unionfs, and their persistence
>support looks like a mess right
> now-

>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDPersistence

>googling for "[gentoo/suse/mandriava] livecd
>persistence" didn't yield anything

>immediately obvious (look I managed to spell it
>correctly there :)

>Anyway, I'll see what I can do in the next week or
>two.

-dmc
 I have been using centos livecd a little bit. I use
their Perrsistence feature although I don't think it
does all you have proposed here. The way I use it is:
 Boot the CD
 Configure it the way I like it, passwords, resolution
  Cookies and stuff in the browser,etc.
 When finished I click on a feature called "save local

 resources"
 The popup then asks me where to save it. In my case I

 specify /dev/hda ( I guess it could be a USB stick)
The program then creates a directory called
CENTOS_LIVECD (or something similar) on dev/hda and
tars several files, /home, .etc/ password and so
forth.
 When I boot later the boot process finds that
directory and untars the files onto my system.
 I haven't played with it enough to know all that it
does. For example if I installed a program outside of
my home directory, I don't know if it would retrieve
that. Also I have seen no documentation of this
feature. I asked on the cent_os list and didn't get
any answer.
 It seems like a worthy feature for a livecd if one
wishes to use it a lot.