[Fedora-livecd-list] LiveUSB to LiveUSB with F7?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Jul 25 20:22:22 UTC 2007

C S wrote:
> All references I can find for spinning have a running
> host(with rpm, yum, etc) as a requirement to build
> live's upon.  But is it possible to have
> livecd-creator spin a new CD off of F7's Live itself?
> I assume Revisor would only build upon this.

Wow.  Must be the collective unconsciousness.  I was just thinking about this today.

Of course, what you described, I think can be done pretty trivially.  I.e. just
get the livecd-tools /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk (either by spinning your own
livecd with the livecd-tools rpm, or wget/urlgrabbing a copy of the script from
somewhere, etc...)  and then doing

livecd-iso-to-disk /dev/root /dev/<your usb device partition here>

That is F7-LiveCD-Itself-to-LiveUSB.  For F7-LiveCD-Itself-to-spin-new-cd you
would do something like livecd-creator --base-on=/dev/root

For your subject line of LiveUSB-to-LiveUSB, no easy script already does that
that I know of (though dd might be sufficient for some cases).

But of course, I have some devious added functionality via devicemapper in mind ;)

-dmc