[Fedora-livecd-list] LiveUSB to LiveUSB with F7?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Jul 25 20:36:35 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> C S wrote:
>> All references I can find for spinning have a running
>> host(with rpm, yum, etc) as a requirement to build
>> live's upon.  But is it possible to have
>> livecd-creator spin a new CD off of F7's Live itself? I assume Revisor
>> would only build upon this.
>
> Wow.  Must be the collective unconsciousness.  I was just thinking about
> this today.
>
> Of course, what you described, I think can be done pretty trivially.
> I.e. just get the livecd-tools /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk (either by
> spinning your own livecd with the livecd-tools rpm, or wget/urlgrabbing
> a copy of the script from somewhere, etc...)  and then doing
>
> livecd-iso-to-disk /dev/root /dev/<your usb device partition here>

err...  make that /dev/live instead of /dev/root

> That is F7-LiveCD-Itself-to-LiveUSB.  For
> F7-LiveCD-Itself-to-spin-new-cd you would do something like
> livecd-creator --base-on=/dev/root

/dev/live here as well.  Though you will need to get livecd-creator and
dependencies installed.  (yum install livecd-creator from the livecd will work
if you have enough ram and a net connection).  And you'll no doubt want to use
--tmpdir pointing to some place with lots of space mounted (i.e. not use the
default tmpdir of /var/tmp which would be in ram usually on a livecd)

-dmc