[Fedora-livecd-list] Is it possible to have an updatable system on a usb stick?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 4 18:31:03 UTC 2008

On Monday 04 August 2008 18:48:44 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 04 August 2008 13:54:30 Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > This got filed relatively recently and fixed up.  For F9-based images,
> > though, you'll have to do a workaround of removing
> > the /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules.rpm* (or at least, move them
> > out of the way)
>
> I thought I was almost there.  I gave it an overlay of 6533 MB, got it
> booted and running on the EeePC, then started the big update.
> Unfortunately that took so long that the battery ran out while I was away
> from it.  There could be packages still in the cache to be installed, but I
> can't move about at all.  I have a bash  prompt but it doesn't recognise
> basic bash commands such as cd and mv.
>
> It's clear from the warning message I got that I do need to do the
> workaround mentioned above.
>
> Any advice on how to proceed?

I now have the exact messages in front of me:

usb 2-1: device not accepting address 2, error -71
sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
/init: line 478: /sysroot/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev*: ambiguous redirect
Bug in initramfs /init detected. Dropping to a shell.  Good luck!

(by which I guess it means I'll need it :-) )

The prompt says
bash-3.2#

and doesn't recognise commands.

Anne