[Fedora-livecd-list] Making content available on both sides of the live CD

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Mon Feb 4 23:49:44 UTC 2008

I was talking earlier about putting content on the ISO to be read by e.g.
Windows users.  If I want to make that content available in the live
Fedora system also, what's the best way to do that?

What I'm after is a directory on the live Fedora desktop that doesn't
waste space but shows the same content as the

There were a couple of "obvious" ways I could think of, which I'll refer
to by one would achieve them:

* mount --bind /media/cdrom/my_directory
/home/liveuser/Desktop/my_directory

* ln -s /media/cdrom/my_directory /home/liveuser/Desktop/my_directory

Both these can only expose the content read-only, which is acceptable but
less than amazing.

* have a unionfs/aufs mount that exposes the ISO's content and lets users
write using "copy-up" semantics

The downside of unionfs is that it adds complications.

Given these choices, I'd go for the symlink.  Is that what you guys would
do?  Is there something I'm missing?

One used to be able to make "hybrid CDs" (c.f.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_CD ) that shared data between the HFS
filesystems and ISO9660 filesystems on them, but I imagine that's not
possible for the ISO9660 filesystem at the base of the LiveCD-Creator disc
and the squashfs inside it - right?

Thanks for the quick and sharp replies!

-- Asheesh.

--