[Fedora-livecd-list] RFE: implant locale information into isos like anaconda implants md5sums

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Oct 20 20:38:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 22:18 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> I have an idea to make it easier for people to create an iso image with the
> desired locale and keyboard layout for local distribution.
>
> The anaconda project created a tool "isomd5sum" that somehow implants the
> md5sum of major parts of the iso into the iso file itself. I did not yet find
> the time to investigate how they do it. I would find it very useful, if the
> same technique could be used to store the default locale and keyboard layout
> within the iso image for live cds.
>
> What do you think about this idea?

The md5sum embedding is done by putting the information into the
application specific area of the ISO.  The problem is that this is a
(very) limited space and we're already using almost all of it to store
md5sums.

Also, I think (hope? :) that people are using the live images as much or
more off of USB sticks and so I'd rather not make any choices like this
which aren't generally usable no matter what type of medium you're
running the live image from.

Jeremy