[Fedora-livecd-list] livecd-creator proposal for compression option

Jasper Hartline jasper.hartline at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 08:24:49 UTC 2010

There is no real benefit in size savings when using mksquashfs w/ lzma.
I did some testing and noticed minimal size savings. The only thing
that you will gain
by adding LZMA support is speed at best. This is only beneficial to users which
in corner cases like yours where a dual processor or more core
processor machine is not being used
and you are building a humongous live DVD, not a LiveCD.

Even with the compression type available as an option to mksquashfs
and livecd-creator
the current version of squashfs-tools mksquashfs does not have lzma
support yet anyways, nor do
the Fedora 13 kernels.