[Fedora-livecd-list] how to modify a livecd

Jasper Hartline jasper.hartline at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 01:31:59 UTC 2010

I don't know about you but when I have a directory, which is to be made into
a LiveCD I just use mkisofs with the isolinux.bin
using:
            /usr/bin/mkisofs -quiet -R -pad -V <volume ID> -b
boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -p myname -x lost+found
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o isoimage dir

The isolinux.bin and boot.cat need to be changed to specify your location of
these files if syslinux is installed.
Using a SSD card though all you would need to do to create one is
grub-install /dev/yourdevice

If you are only making an image I am not sure if livecd-iso-to-disk handles
that but it is simple..
with a program c-section I use it just creates two loopback files and uses
kpartx to map them, then I grub install to the mapper device and close the
filehandle.

This will create a LiveUSB image you can put on any USB flash or SSD card I
assume if you preload the SSD controller card modules.
Not sure how SSD works exactly, it is flash basically, just might not use
USB protocol.