[Fedora-livecd-list] how to modify a livecd

Joey Boggs jboggs at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 01:57:16 UTC 2010

On 03/23/2010 08:52 PM, bill pemberton wrote:
> i would like to modify a live cd to have a root and user account and
> to mount a home directory for the user.  i have taken a fedora 12 iso,
> broken it apart, made my changes and need to create the bootable iso
> image.  that is where i'm running into a problem.  i have tried using
> the grub stage2_eltorito file but that didn't work (maybe the command
> i copied was incorrect).  i have thought about snagging the first
> sector (i think that is right) of a good iso and merging that with
> what i have but i have a feeling that won't work.  from what i can
> tell i need a boot image file to use but i have not been able to
> locate one of the correct size (per the mkisofs man page) in the files
> i have for the iso.  the docs i have been reading today so far haven't
> indicated where i can find this file and web searches haven't been
> very fruitful.  since i'm not changing the packages but just the
> contents of the passwd, shadow, and fstab i would think this would be
> an easy thing to accomplish.  i have looked into using a persistent
> image but after waiting nearly an hour for the image to be written
> (using livecd-creator) i felt that that must not be working correctly
> either.  i can get an sd card to boot via writing the iso using dd and
> so far that is the only way to get an sd card or usb drive to boot.
> so i must be missing something with this livecd-creator (and i think
> the livecd-iso-to-disk script as well).
>
> the main idea is to have a bootable livecd on an sdcard, use a usb
> drive for the home dir for a user and this way have a dual boot
> machine and be able to test different distros from time to time.
>
> would someone mind pointing me in the right direction to accomplish
> this goal?
>
> --
> wapembe
>

> --

If putting the iso back together is the biggest problem try the patch I
sent earlier to the list for edit-livecd. It will mount it and present
you into the chroot'ed file system and them repackage it all for you as
an edited iso file.

Here's a link to the script if you want to give it a shot

http://fedorapeople.org/~jboggs/edit-livecd.py

Then you can use livecd-iso-to-disk to write it to disk