[Fedora-livecd-list] norhgb doesn't work

Marc Herbert Marc.Herbert at gmail.com
Tue May 3 14:33:21 UTC 2011

>> I put a g after the two slashes to modify both quiet AND rhgb.

> I think if you need the g  (global)  then you may have had multiple
> instances of the rhgb pattern present as kernel args.
> [...]
> The g is a good Idea in case something is writing multiple rhgb args
> into the bootloader config on the kernel arg line.

No, 'g' is even required just to get rid of a single "quiet" PLUS a
single "rhgb". Compare:

echo 'linux quiet rhgb foo' | sed -e 's/quiet\|rhgb//g'
      linux            foo
echo 'linux quiet rhgb foo' | sed -e 's/quiet\|rhgb//'
      linux       rhgb foo

Without 'g' the OR expression operates only on the *first*
match. Either 'quiet' or 'rhgb' but not both: only the first one
found.

Also compare with this:
echo 'linux quiet rhgb foo' | sed -e 's/quiet//' -e 's/rhgb//'
      linux            foo

PS: Perl is really overkill here.