[Fedora-livecd-list] livecd fs format

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 24 12:43:13 UTC 2011

I have been using the LiveCD format extensively on majority of my
machines throughout the years as it brings, among other things, enhanced
protection to my root (/) image (as this is preserved throughout the
life of the session and is restored after each reboot). I have, however,
two fundamental issues I need to clear up:

1. How is the LiveCD file system constructed/built? I've read a variety
of articles and it seems that it is close to the UnionFS (rom+ram
"partitions"), but I am not sure that is used with the new versions of
Linux. I see there are multiple loop mounts on the system, but can't
figure out what they are.

2. My understanding is that all files that are modified in the "live"
image are stored "separately" on a "ram partition". If that is indeed
the case, can I look at what has been "modified" during the live
session? This is easily visible and implemented in UnionFS by a simple
"ls" on the ram (i.e. the read-write) part of the UnionFS, but I am not
sure how this is organised on the LiveCD system.

Any help and advice on the above two issues is appreciated. Thanks!