Theme mockup push?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 13:57:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 11:48:34AM +0100, Jef van Schendel wrote:
> 2010/12/3 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>
> >
> > Ah, never mind -- Peter reported he had a URL for Hiemanshu's mockup
> > here:
> >
> > http://hiemanshu.fedorapeople.org/insight-mockup.png
> >
> > However, this doesn't seem to match entirely with the front page of
> > fp.o, which was something we wanted for Insight:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org
> >
> > We ran into Jef in the channel yesterday and he agreed to try his hand
> > at another draft to see if we can edge closer to that overall look and
> > feel.  Thanks, Jef!  Please keep us updated on the list here if
> > possible.
> >

> So, I started working on this (quick mockup here [1]) before realizing that
> a high fidelity mockup is probably the last thing we need right know, and
> I'm still unsure of some things.
>
> Here's a question I wanted to ask the FI experts on this list:
>
> How different will Fedora Insight be from the regular www.fpo pages? You
> mentioned it should look similar to the Fedora homepage, but how similar is
> it? I'm asking this because that should be reflected in the design and then
> we can determine which parts of the styling we want to reuse.
>
> Here's what I was thinking at first...
>
> - It is an official Fedora website and should be recognizable as such.
> - It is not an actual part of www.fpo, like the Features, Download or Join
> pages, but it *is* part of the broader Fedora websites collection (like the
> Planet and the wiki are).
> - The concept is different from www.fpo: it isn't a static page but a stream
> of information, it is not aimed at first-time visitors but at Fedora
> contributors and interested community members.

These are all correct.

> In short: it's a Fedora website, but seperate from and with a different
> purpose than the regular www.fpo pages. If that were true, a different
> header or even background color (like Hiemanshu mentioned) might be useful.
>
> Reading the wiki page again though, I wasn't sure anymore. It sounded more
> like it *was* a part of www.fpo and also for people who aren't (yet)
> contributors. In that case I would apply almost the same style as on
> www.fpo, maybe with a few small changes.
>
> Sorry for the slightly wordy mail, I just wanted to make sure I get this
> right before I continue. :)

The purpose of Insight (initially) is to filter/highlight news,
marketing materials, and information being produced by the Fedora
community that's useful for a wider audience.  In its first phase,
Insight will provide space for the Fedora Weekly News (with RSS feed),
and the ability to editorially mark and republish Fedora Planet posts
(with the author's permission).  In the future we'd like to expand it
to host podcasts and other content.

The intended audience for Insight is people who are interested
primarily in current events and news, as opposed to just general
information about Fedora.  We want to use this site to provide
numerous RSS feeds of information that would be useful to tech writers
and journalists, as well as anyone who wanted to see a "greatest hits"
list of what's going on.

> [1] http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/insight/insightMockup2.png

Nice start here!  Some of the things we ought to have on the front
page:

* Selected Planet posts -- basically what you have there, only it's
  not just the latest, but rather the latest *selected* stuff.

* A summary of and link to the latest Fedora Weekly News (and a way to
  find older issues)

* A widget to download the latest Fedora

* Link to the Marketing team page for people who want to get involved
  in maintaining Insight, or maybe a general get involved link